Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Day 2: PLYOMETRIC CARDIO CIRCUIT

I expected to wake up this morning in excruciating pain, but I was pleasantly surprised. In addition to the fit test and Cardio Abs yesterday, I had to teach a power yoga class last night. I think I slept harder than I have in ages, even with the difficulty breathing (which is better today). No soreness in the upper body, but my legs were noodly yesterday and this morning they are mildly sore around my butt and quadriceps. My quadriceps were complaining when I would run upstairs.

This was really hard. It’s 41 minutes long, and the first full circuit is pretty much 100% plyometrics. After the third round (you go about 3-4 minutes and then take a 30-second water break), he adds in a couple more exercises for good measure before your rest. The second complete circuit added in a few strength moves, such as pushup/mountain climber variations and some ab work from plank where you jump your knees to the sides.

During the final two rounds of the second circuit, I found myself having to take few-second breaks. I am not using a heart rate monitor, but rather going by when my muscles give out or when I can’t breathe. Talk test works for me. Side note: I don’t think these workouts would even be doable if it weren’t for that long stretch right in the middle. If you can make it through the warmup, you get that break and then you’re only facing about another 20 minutes of intensity.

I am concerned about my knees. I felt a tiny bit of twinginess in one of them today. I am using a Manduka black yoga mat to cushion my joints, although I find myself moving off it a lot because the plyos cause the mat to bunch up and I can see myself tripping over a fold. Perhaps I should buy new shoes as well.

I don’t feel as trashed post-workout today as I did yesterday. I think I can do this. I like the looks of tomorrow’s routine even better, as in general I hate cardio and love resistance training. One more and then recovery day comes. I love the feeling of accomplishment that comes with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment