Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day 17: PURE CARDIO/CARDIO ABS

Bad start today. Last night found me on the couch again with potato chips, Red Hots, and a bronzed poolboy. Or at least two out of three. Baffling self-sabotage after my great fit test results and belly photos from yesterday that show actual progress. Then I couldn't sleep well. I woke up this morning with extremely sore hamstrings from who-knows-what. I carried my six-year-old son up the stairs this morning and my legs literally felt so weak I started getting this giddy feeling and had to sit down. I don't know what brought that on. As I started Pure Cardio, I thought I truly was not going to make it through as I felt that giddy feeling in my legs again during the first few minutes of the warmup.

But then the Insanity magic happened somehow. First of all, when he said to "act like you're holding potato chips between your fingers," I felt a little surge of amusing guilt. And then all my motivating factors kicked in. It went better than I expected and I even made it a little farther into the 15-minute hell-block before taking a rest (to the end of the power jacks). I still need at least three 30-second rests during Pure Cardio and a few modifications, but today I am happy just to have gotten through it. I also went directly into Cardio Abs without a break. I knew that tomorrow would be a recovery day, so I wanted to make the most of my time.

The participants help a lot. There's my disdain for Tanya, who I think is actually an android with nonmoving parts (sorry, Tanya. I'm sure you're a very nice person but please understand that to make it through this, I need to dislike you a little). I really like Anna because she has my body type: short and stocky. I also like Shanita because she's a powerhouse but seems to be having a truly authentic experience. She rests, she says she wants to leave, and overall comes across as very human. Find someone you identify with somehow and strive to match him or her! New recipe below...

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:48 AM

    Test...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:50 AM

    Hooray, it worked :)

    I will comment on your posts later :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:11 PM

    Wow, sounds like the guilt made you kick some butt today :)

    I like how you said to identify with someone on the DVD. I will remember that when I start...which I'm still waiting :(

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete