Thursday, February 04, 2010

Day 3: CARDIO POWER AND RESISTANCE

I was actually looking forward to today’s workout… until now, time to do it, and I’m stalling. I prefer resistance training, and I am feeling better with my sinus infection. However, I ate a big dinner last night of Indian curry and gulab jamun, and then I didn’t sleep well or long enough. I feel OK today and not much new soreness. In fact, almost no soreness in the torso at all. My buns and hips are still a little bit sore, but I expected to be walking sack of DOMS (delayed-onset muscle soreness) all this week. OK, time to motivate myself and remember I can do anything for 40 minutes.

1 hour later: This seems like it should have been easier than yesterday, but it was definitely harder. Even though there were fewer plyos, the plyos were the hardest ones: tuck jumps, globe jumps, etc. I actually had to modify in the warmup a little bit, which was a bad sign. The circuits actually weren’t as bad, but halfway through the second of three I had to rest a bit/modify. I felt like I was going to puke. I took the second one pretty easy (pushups from the knees, a few seconds between exercises, etc.) until the feeling subsided. Then I hit the last circuit hard. Overall I’m pleased, although 20 minutes after I’ve finished, I still feel a little nauseated. I can’t remember the last time I nearly threw up while exercising, but I read this isn’t uncommon with Insanity. I’m pretty sure my poor night of sleep (stayed up too late watching TV and then slept half the night on the couch because of snoring bedfellow) and my heavy Indian dinner last night didn’t do me any favors today.

But now I have 24 hours and then the recovery routine tomorrow, which I anticipate to be just that. Ahhhh. I miss yoga. I am tempted to swap the cardio recovery for a yoga day, but I’m going to follow the program exactly for awhile and then reassess. I can see I’ll need to do extra stretching to maintain my level of flexibility through this, although last night even the thought of getting off the couch to do some hip stretches was too daunting. Side note… I wonder what’s in the recovery drink and what I can use as a substitute.

No comments:

Post a Comment